Friends, I wasn’t planning on writing to you again so soon…but I made some really fucking good food last night. And, I didn’t want you to miss out on it. Because, you should make it right now. Like, seriously. Right. Now.
My BFF is in town and we usually go on some sort of wine drinking binge (which I cannot do on the Whole 30) so instead I made some Whole 30 Approved Sweet and Sticky Cashew Chicken. Oh, man. It was good.
But before I get to the recipe, I have to ask something…do you guys carry around spare underwear? This was a topic of discussion last night…because, I do. I think it’s leftover from junior high school paranoia about getting my period in the middle of class, unexpectedly. So, when I asked the BFF, she stared at me for a second and said, “Well, I can understand the logic behind it, but I don’t think that’s something people do.”
Okay, on to the recipe!
Whole 30 Sweet and Sticky Cashew Chicken
for the sauce:
1/4c Whole30/Paleo Ketchup
1/2c + 1tbsp Coconut Aminos
1/4c Coconut Vinegar (or sub Apple Cider Vinegar, but Coconut is best)
5 pitted dates
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ginger powder, or equivalent of fresh ginger root
1 tsp (or to taste) crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt
for the rest:
2-2.5lbs chicken thighs, diced
1c cashews (I used sea salt, unroasted. If you get roasted, check the ingredients)
finely chopped fresh cilantro for garnish (or sub dried, duh)
- Put diced chicken in deep skillet with coconut oil and brown on all sides, usually a few minutes per side.
- Once chicken in browned all over, take off heat and set aside while you make the sauce.
- Put all the sauce ingredients into your blender or food processor and pulse/process until they make a saucey-sauce
- Return chicken to the skillet with 1/2 the sauce
- Toss the chicken to coat and cover the skillet. Cook for another 8 minutes or so until the pieces are cooked through, putting in the cashews and the rest of the sauce the last few minutes.
- Sprinkle with minced cilantro and serve over cauliflower rice.